By now you have kicked off your surf fitness routine with Frog Squats and Kick-outs, next up we need to work on stabilisation of the core; key for executing certain manoeuvres such as lay backs and round house cutbacks.
A super effective effective and simple exercise for this without any equipment is the classic Plank:
- Start with your forearms flat on the floor and your feet up on tip toes
- Keep your spine neutral and engage your core
- This will keep your body in a nice straight alignment from head to foot
- Aim for a 30 second hold to start, increase by 5-10 seconds each time
- Remember to breathe smoothly throughout the exercise
- Keep that core tight so as not to let the mid section drop
- Once the mid section drops either return to good form or stop the exercise and rest
This is a great exercise to end any routine with.